Thursday, September 24, 2015

First Day of Spring

Hey everybody!

It is the first day of Spring and man oh man, it is HOT.

This week has been a great week full of service. After our district meeting last Tuesday we received a call that one of our future investigators needed a priesthood blessing. We grabbed the Elders and ran over to where they were. The priesthood is very real and I am so grateful we have it today. Before the blessing our investigator, Isa, told us her situation and it broke all of our hearts. After a blessing of comfort there was almost a tangible change in the mood of everyone in the room. We all went from sad/ no hope to a feeling of peace and hope. So cool. Now she is wanting to know more about the gospel!!!

On Wednesday night we helped Isa and her son Mauricio move their things to a new place. I'm going to be coming home so buff - we carried a bed frame, chairs and other miscellaneous items over 1/4 of a mile. The next day we were sore, but we would do it again in a heartbeat.
On Thursday we had our weekly lunch with Hermana Gomez, the "mama de Paraguay". They set a bowl of something (I've stopped asking what it is) in front of me and said "do you know how to eat that?" Not wanting a further explanation both me and my companion said "yes". It was a sort of stew with rice and beans and some chunk of something in the middle that made the rice around it taste weird. Without acknowledging the island in my stew I ate all of the beans and rice and simply poked at the chunk of meat thing. After she took the plate away she explained that it was COW HOOF. Yup. I ate cow hoof, rice, bean stew.

Saturday morning we did service for a young family in our ward. We cleared out the growing weeds and grass around their trees and bushes and put dirt on their yard/land. It was hard labor in the hot sun and I don't think I've ever sweat so much in my life. Since that day it's just been hot and am I getting used to just living with sweat and a little sunburn.

Sunday night we "dropped cane" (calling to repentance with love) on one of our progressing menos activo couples. They aren't keeping the law of chastity and we've come to the topic in the missionary lessons. That was very nerve racking- we felt very awkward beforehand - but the spirit was there during the lesson and we were able to teach/call to repentance just fine.

Today is the first day of Spring and tomorrow is the end of my first change, so to celebrate we cleaned out our house! Spring cleaning woo! It was really nice to sweep out the piling dirt/dust on the floors and clean out what has been left of the dying ants from two weeks ago. Now we have a clean house to go back to!

Even though it is just barely spring, it is getting super hot. I pulled out my umbrella and will most likely be using at the sun gets stronger and stronger.

With love,

Hermana Carr