Monday, December 7, 2015

Pioneers in Paraguay

¡Hola familia y amigos!

This week was a normal week of lots of contacting, teaching and working here in Juan de Salazar.

On Friday there was a huge rain storm in the morning that took out the electricity and the water for about 24 hours. Friday night we did daily planning and wrote in our journals by the light of candles and had to use the water from buckets we left out in the rain to flush the toilet.

By Saturday morning we had off and on running water and still didn't have lights, but by Saturday afternoon everything was back to normal. Friday we felt like pioneers - definitely an experience I'm glad only lasted for a day. We really have so much and only notice it when it's gone. This week I am especially grateful for running water!

Funny story of the week: This week as we were contacting we found a family of menos activos. At one point while we were sharing with them, my companion was teaching a principle of the gospel and a dove literally descended onto her head. My companion has very curly, voluminous hair and had put it in a bun that day- my guess is the dove thought it'd be a good resting spot. At first we all were a little stunned- my comp just exclaimed "¡¿en serio?!" and, while trying to stifle my laughter at the scene, I did my best to shoo the dove away. It didn't budge until I almost picked it up and out of her hair, at which point it flew off. All I can say is I don't think I can get a bigger sign that my companion teaches with the Holy Ghost.

On Saturday I got a little flu bug and we spent the day in our house, but by Sunday I felt much better and just about back to normal.

I hope everyone is doing well! If you haven't watched the new Christmas video put out by the church, go check it out! - http://navidad.mormon.org.

With love sent from Paraguay,

Hermana Carr